PARDAS COLLITA ROJA
Sumoll grapevines are like farmers when they are young they are rough and productive, but as the years go by, they set their roots deeply.
When they are nearing death, when they are broken-down by wounds in their bodies and souls this is the time when they are able to provide wisdom.
At around seventy they have begun to die, due to droughts, hailstone, diseases and upsets and the part that is left, lives and suffers twisted and fragile.
We have in our hands such a heritage to enjoy and at the same time care for with respect.
In the areas of Torrelavit, Sant Llorenç d´Hortons, Piera and la Llacuna, North Penedès, from five o six half-barren vineyards full of life planted by our grandfathers who used the help of animals and which we continue to cultivate by hand, we would like to offer you: Collita Roja.
When Josep Pla states that: “A farmer is a farmer and nothing but a farmer”, we paraphrasing him state: Sumoll is Sumoll and nothing but Sumoll. Unique and inimitable
- Year : 2009
- Production : 2600 bottles.
- Varieties : 90% Sumoll, 10% Marselan
- Pont Nou vineyard0.72 hectare plot of Sumoll, located in the municipal area of St.Llorenç d´Hortons. South-East exposure clayey calcareous soil with a loamy texture. Planted in 1949 (grafted onto a Rupestris du Lot rootstock and trained onto a variable intra-row spacing that follows the slopes of the ground.Average production: 3000 Kg/ha.El Vinyet Vineyard
0.93 hectare. Plot of Sumoll (6000 vines/Hectare.)Planted in 1962 in the La Llacuna and grafted onto a Rupestris de Lot rootstock.
El Coster vineyard
0.40 hectare. Plot of Sumoll, North exposure, planted in 1957 in the municipal area of Piera.
El Manco vineyard
0.68 hectare. plot of Marselan south exposure, clayey-calcareous soil, grafted onto a 41B rootstock in 2003
Harvested on 1, 8 and 10 October 2008.
- Viticulture:Neither herbicides, pesticides nor any other chemicals were used on any of the vines planted to make our Collita Roja.We do not plough the ground and we leave the grasses and plants to protect the soil. The vines are farmed by hand.
- Vinification:Maceration: Sumoll del Pont Nou: 1-20 Oct./ /Sumoll de l’Ametller: 10-20 Oct./Sumoll del coster: 10-22 Oct. / Marselan del Manco : 8-22 Oct.
- Winemaking el Pont Nou/el Vinyet Sumoll: Fermented in a stainless-steel tank and an open chestnut fermenting barrel for 17 days at 23ºC, except for the last three days that the temperature is dropped to 20ºC.Del Manco Marselan: Fermented in a stainless-steel tank for 15 days, at 24-25ºC and decreasing the temperature to 20ºC the last 3 days.Del coster Sumoll: Fermented for 24 days in two chestnut barrels. Fermentation temperature between 24 and 25 degrees centigrade for the first stage and decreasing temperature to 21ºC the last days.
Malolactic fermentation Sumoll was fermented in stainless-steel tanks. Marselan was spontaneously fermented in the barrel.
Sumoll: First stage 3 months in stainless-steel tanks. From the 13th of February 2009 until the 18 February 2010 the wine was placed in barrels. It was finally removed from the barrels and placed in stainless-steel tanks for four and a half months.
Marselan remained in the barrel until March 2010.
French barrels.15% of new barrels and the rest are second and third wine barrels.
- Bottling date: 3 of march 2011
- ALCOHOL: 13.9
- IPT:65.7IC: 9.46
Free SO2:22 Total SO2:60
Nose: intense, balsamic and very complex.
It has just stopped raining and you are walking in the woods: damp soil, leaves, undergrowth and raw wild mushrooms.
Fresh wild red fruit of the forest: bilberries and pomegranate. Cherry liquor.
We also find prunes and dried apricot.
Vegetal and spicy notes: liquorice, pepper and hints of bay leaf and cereal.
A lively and dynamic entry in the mouth, consistent with the nose.
It neither seduces nor asks. It is imposing and direct.
The structure is neither made of the tannins nor the barrel, but the acidity which is the real backbone of this wine. Therefore, a lot of fruit and complexity is to be found in the mouth.
In the end, sweetness, tannin and acidity establish an original and particular game which make this wine a unique wine.
A freshness that transports us to the wines of the Central European countries.
Simple food: grilled meats, blue fish, sardines and mackerel, flatbread with roasted vegetables and fatty cheeses.